Sunday, November 16, 2008

"How Many Calories in a Booger, Mommy?"

This was actually a question Andrew asked me on the way to school the other morning. Why might a 5 1/2 year-old raise such a question? Let me explain.
Andrew's fascination with numbers seems to grow into different venues on a regular basis, so I wasn't surprised when he noticed the Nutritional Information panel on the side of products. He brought home a pasta necklace around Halloween, handed it to me and said, "it has 180 calories." While trick or treating, a neighbor gave him a generous handful of candy to which he inquired to her, "how many calories in the candy?" I had to explain after a look of surprise and a chuckle at what this little boy had asked her.
Back to the original scenario in the car. We are in the process of trying to break Andrew of the habit of not only picking his nose, but then proceeding to consume the find! "How may calories in a booger, mommy?" "None!", I quickly replied knowing what he must have just done. "Zero, Andrew! Because boogers are NOT food! Yucky!!!"
He didn't say much and I turned back around (we were at a traffic light). A few seconds later I hear a little voice in the backseat again...."Hmmm...I think probably one calorie."

1 comment:

Amanda Lomonaco said...

That was a quick, on your toes response, my friend. Your son is equally quick and funny with the "I think one calorie." So cute. Oh the stories that you can tell his wife someday;-).